Business personal property is any tangible property owned, engaged, used, or possessed in the conduct of a trade or business. This includes but not limited to machinery, equipment, furniture, fixtures, computers, software, farm equipment, leasehold improvements, and supplies.
NOTE CHANGE ON OR AFTER JULY 1, 2014: COMPUTER SOFTWARE IS “EXCLUDED UNDER THE NEW AMENDMENT IF THE SOFTWARE IS DEVELOPED FROM SCRATCH TO MEET THE SPECIFIED NEEDS OF THE TAXPAYER WHETHER DONE INTERNALLY BY THE TAXPAYER OR EXTERNALLY BY A THIRD PARTY.”
The Business Personal Property, a Department of the Durham County Tax Administration, is responsible for the following:
- Listing (by mail, online or walk-in), appraisal, assessment, and billing of business personal property.
- Assisting taxpayers and tax professionals with the preparation of the listing forms in person, by telephone and email communications.
- Assisting with inquiries and information regarding the values and tax amounts appearing on the annual bills.
- Ensuring that all businesses in the county are appraised and assessed by verifying unfiled listing forms are discovered and assessed.
- Administering a compliance program to review and audit the business personal property listings submitted to ensure accuracy of taxable property.
February 1st thru April 15th – Extensions Granted (Requests must be submitted by January 31st).
Failure to list by the dates above will result in a late listing penalty being applied