ATTENTION! Durham County Government is closing most offices to the public effective Monday, March 23, 2020. To read the detailed release about the closing, visit our news section at dconc.gov or click here.
Message from Tax Administrator Dwane Brinson
Timothy "Dwane" Brinson
Administration Bldg. II
The Tax Department is responsible for:
• Listing real and personal property
• Assessing real and personal property
• Maintenance of property maps
• Property ownership changes
• Collection of current and delinquent taxes
• Room occupancy taxes
• Fees associated with solid waste
• Fees associated with county owned parking facilities
• Issuing Beer and Wine License
Lien for 2019–20 property taxes attaches to all real property in taxing unit. G.S. 105-355
- Date: 01/01/2019
§ 105-355. Creation of tax lien; date as of which lien attaches.
(a) Lien on Real Property. - Regardless of the time at which liability for a tax for a given fiscal year may arise or the exact amount thereof be determined, the lien for taxes levied on a parcel of real property shall attach to the parcel taxed on the date as of which property is to be listed under G.S. 105-285, and the lien for taxes levied on personal property shall attach to all real property of the taxpayer in the taxing unit on the same date. All penalties, interest, and costs allowed by law shall be added to the amount of the lien and shall be regarded as attaching at the same time as the lien for the principal amount of the taxes. For purposes of this subsection (a):
(1) Taxes levied on real property listed in the name of a life tenant under G.S. 105-302 (c)(8) shall be a lien on the fee as well as the life estate.
(2) Taxes levied on improvements on or separate rights in real property owned by one other than the owner of the land, whether or not listed separately from the land under G.S. 105-302 (c)(11), shall be a lien on both the improvements or rights and on the land.
(b) Lien on Personal Property. - Taxes levied on real and personal property (including penalties, interest, and costs allowed by law) shall be a lien on personal property from and after levy or attachment and garnishment of the personal property levied upon or attached. (1939, c. 310, s. 1704; 1971, c. 806, s. 1; 1973, c. 564, s. 4.)