Timothy "Dwane" Brinson
Administration Bldg. II
The Tax Department is responsible for:
• Listing real and personal property
• Assessing real and personal property
• Maintenance of property maps
• Property ownership changes
• Collection of current and delinquent taxes
• Room occupancy taxes
• Fees associated with solid waste
• Fees associated with county owned parking facilities
• Issuing Beer and Wine License
Tax collector must advertise tax liens at least once between March 1 and June 30.
- Date: 03/01/2015
§ 105-369. Advertisement of tax liens on real property for failure to pay taxes.
(c) Time and Contents of Advertisement. – A tax collector's failure to comply with this
subsection does not affect the validity of the taxes or tax liens. The county tax collector shall
advertise county tax liens by posting a notice of the liens at the county courthouse and by
publishing each lien at least one time in one or more newspapers having general circulation in
the taxing unit. The municipal tax collector shall advertise municipal tax liens by posting a
notice of the liens at the city or town hall and by publishing each lien at least one time in one or
more newspapers having general circulation in the taxing unit. Advertisements of tax liens shall
be made during the period March 1 through June 30. The costs of newspaper advertising shall
be paid by the taxing unit. If the taxes of two or more taxing units are collected by the same tax
collector, the tax liens of each unit shall be advertised separately unless, under the provisions of
a special act or contractual agreement between the taxing units, joint advertisement is
The posted notice and newspaper advertisement shall set forth the following information:
(1) Repealed by Session Laws 2006-106, s. 2, effective for taxes imposed for
taxable years beginning on or after July 1, 2006.
(1a) The name of the record owner as of the date the taxes became delinquent for
each parcel on which the taxing unit has a lien for unpaid taxes, in
(1b) After the information required by subdivision (1a) of this subsection for each
parcel, a brief description of each parcel of land to which a lien has attached
and a statement of the principal amount of the taxes constituting a lien
against the parcel.
(2) A statement that the amounts advertised will be increased by interest and
costs and that the omission of interest and costs from the amounts advertised
will not constitute waiver of the taxing unit's claim for those items.
(3) In the event the list of tax liens has been divided for purposes of
advertisement in more than one newspaper, a statement of the names of all
newspapers in which advertisements will appear and the dates on which they
will be published.
(4) A statement that the taxing unit may foreclose the tax liens and sell the real
property subject to the liens in satisfaction of its claim for taxes.