Durham Prepares to Turn Over A New Leaf
Durham County Board of Health Smoking Rule goes into effect August 1
Free Your Lungs Smoke-Free Kickoff Event and Press Conference
(to include local leaders, as well as elected and health officials)
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
1:00 P.M. – 3:00 P.M.
Bay 7 at American Tobacco Campus
324 Blackwell Street
Durham, NC 27701
On Wednesday, August 1, the Durham County Board of Health Smoking Rule, which was adopted by the Durham County Board of County Commissioners in February, will take effect. When the Smoking Rule goes into effect, it will be the most progressive and comprehensive in North Carolina to date.
The Rule will prohibit smoking in the following areas:
• City and County of Durham Grounds
• City of Durham Parks System (including playgrounds and athletic fields)
• Durham County Trails and Parks
• City and County Bus Stops (including a radius extending 100 feet, around the bus stop, excluding any private property that may fall in that radius)
• Durham Station Transportation Center (except as specifically designated)
• Durham Train Station (except as specifically designated)
• Sidewalks (owned, leased, maintained by the City or County of Durham and border Durham County property, City of Durham property, any public schools or hospitals)
For more information on the Durham County Board of Health Smoking Rule, visit www.durhamcountync.gov/departments/phth/Smoking_Ordinance.html or call the Health Department at (919) 560-7600.
# # #