BOCC Regular Session Highlights from June 25th
Durham, NC – The Durham Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) met on Monday, June 25, 2018, in Regular Session. Highlights of the meeting include:
- The Board held a Closed Session at 5 p.m.
- Board Chair Wendy Jacobs called the regular meeting to order at 7 p.m.
- Durham County Commissioners recognized Durham County Emergency Medical Services for receiving the “Gold Plus” Recognition from American Heart Association’s (AHA) Mission: Lifeline Program. Interim Director Kevin Underhill received the honor on behalf the EMS staff.
- The Board approved the FY 18-19 budget of $643,950,786 that includes a General Fund tax rate increase of 1.0 cent. Highlights include Fire consolidation with the City of Durham Fire Department and Durham County Fire service in south Durham; full funding of the Superintendent’s request for Durham Public Schools and an expansion of Pre-K services to support high quality early childhood education for all children in Durham. Commissioners approved a one-year renewal contract between Durham County and Correct Care Solutions (CCS), to be administered by the Durham County Department of Public Health (DCoDPH) and authorized the Manager to execute the contract totaling $3,108,240.43 for health services for detainees in the detention center.
- The Board authorized the County Manager to execute an agreement in the amount of $160,000 with Downtown Durham Inc. (DDI) for services relating to downtown area business support and economic development in FY18-19.
- County Commissioners appointed Ellen Reckhow as voting delegate and Heidi Carter as alternate to attend the National Association of Counties (NACo) Annual Conference July 12-16, 2018 in Davidson County, Tennessee.
- Commissioners appointed members to the following boards:
- Adult Care Home Community Advisory Committee – Dean Fox, Suzanne Roth
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission – Amanda De Hoedt
- Board of Adjustment – Frederick Davis
- Citizen Advisory Committee – Michelle Ketchum
- City-County Appearance Committee – Anne Lebo
- Criminal Justice Advisory Committee – Clarence Birkhead, Lao Rubert
- Environmental Affairs Board – Donald Addu, Matthew Herman, Tyjuanna LaBennett
- Firefighter’s Relief Fund Board of Trustees – Marshall Ross
- Juvenile Crime Prevention Council – Kevin Allen, Anita Daniels, Cameron Phillips, Dolly Reaves, Solina Richards, Shannon Teamer
- Memorial Stadium Authority – Pam Karriker
- Nursing Home Community Advisory Committee – Shirley Gentry
- Public Health Board – Robert Rosenstein
- Women’s Commission – Ruebe Holmes, Shauna Johnson, Tamika McRae, Zion Tankard
- Workforce Development Board – Wanda Lester, Henry McKoy, Jr.
Board meetings are cablecast live on Durham Television Network (DTN) on Time Warner Cable Channel 8 or AT&T U-verse Channel 99. To view the agenda and recording of the BOCC’s Regular Session meeting, visit the BOCC’s Website.
Please note there will not be a July work session or a meeting on the second Monday in July. The next regular meeting is scheduled for Monday, July 23, 2018. For more information about BOCC meetings, contact the Clerk to the Board's Office at 919-560-0025 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.