BOCC Regular Session Highlights from October 22nd
Durham, NC – The Durham Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) met on Monday, October 22, 2018, in Regular Session. Highlights of the meeting include:
- Board Chair Wendy Jacobs was granted an excused absence from the meeting and Vice Chair James Hill called the meeting to order at 7 p.m.
- Durham County Commissioners approved a proclamation in recognition of the annual national observance of Veterans Day and the 100th Anniversary of the end of World War I. In honor of the day, the Office of the Public Historian for the City of Durham asks the Durham County community to ring, chime or play eleven musical chords at exactly 11 a.m. on the eleventh month, at the eleventh hour to mark the armistice agreement. The observance is Sunday, November 11, 2018.
- The Board also proclaimed October 26th as “Unity in the Community Health Forum 2018 Day” in recognition of the health forum that will take place at the Lynes Park and Recreation Center. Special honor will be given to the late Dr. Brenda Estelle Armstrong.
- The Board approved Property Tax Releases and Refunds for the months of August and September 2018. Refunds cover adjustments for over assessments, listing discrepancies, duplicate listings and clerical errors.
- County Commissioners authorized the County Manager to enter into a contract with HDR Engineering, Inc. of the Carolinas for upgrades to the Northern Durham County Solid Waste Convenience Sites. The contract is not to exceed $134,462 and begins on November 5, 2018.
- The Board of County Commissioners conducted a public hearing on the proposed schedule of values, standards and rules related to the 2019 Reappraisal. The values were submitted to the Board of Commissioners on September 24, 2018.Mrs. Laura McClettie, Partnership Specialist with the U.S. Census Bureau provided a detailed update to the Board and community on the 2020 Census Count now underway. She added that jobs are currently available to join the Census Team. Apply online: https://census.gov/fieldjobs.
- The Board made the following appointments to Boards and Commissions:
- Adult Care Home Community Advisory Committee – Tamario Howze, Vickie Winters
- City-County Appearance Commission – Charles Douglas
- Dangerous Dog Appeal – Terry Hill
- Durham Convention and Visitors Bureau – Caesar Swift
- Durham Technical Community College Board of Trustees – Geoff Durham
- Durham-Wake Counties Research and Production Service District – Robert Olds, Michael McBrierty, Stephanie McDougal
- Industrial Facilities and Pollution Control Financing Authority – Rama Darbha, Eric Edwards, Indranil Ghosh
- Juvenile Crime Prevention Council – Jessica Uba
- Nursing Home Community Advisory Committee – Amanda Weir-Gertzog
- Transportation Advisory Board – Milton Gilder
- Women’s Commission – Michelle Laws
Board meetings are cablecast live on Durham Television Network (DTN) on Time Warner Cable Channel 8 or AT&T U-verse Channel 99. To view the agenda and recording of the BOCC’s Regular Session meeting, visit the BOCC’s Website.
The next regular meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, November 13, 2018. The change is due to the Veterans Day Holiday on Monday, November 12th. For more information about BOCC meetings, contact the Clerk to the Board's Office at 919-560-0025 or email email@example.com.