BOCC Regular Session Highlights from December 20
Durham, NC – The Durham Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) Regular Session originally scheduled for Monday, December 10, 2018 was rescheduled due to inclement weather and held on Thursday, December 20, 2018, at 2 p.m. Highlights of the meeting include:
- Board Chair Wendy Jacobs called the regular session to order at 2:06 p.m.
- The chair opened the meeting with announcements including reminders about the current Welcome Baby Coat Drive collecting coats at four convenient locations to keep Durham’s youngest citizens warm this winter, and the Low Income Energy Assistance Program available to disabled individuals and persons 60 and older. LIEAP opens to all qualifying residents on January 2, 2019. For a complete list of BOCC Announcements visit https://www.dconc.gov/government/departments-a-e/board-of-commissioners/commissioner-meetings.
- The BOCC highlighted the proclamation of Champions in Transportation Week and announced the winners of the 2018 Champions in Transportation Awards. Each year, Durham County ACCESS partners with the Transportation Advisory Board to hold the event celebrating customers and partners. The 2018 Champions in Transportation Award categories and recipients include:
· Passenger of the Year - LeRoy Farrington (Rural General Public-Work Trip)
· Senior Citizen of the Year - Mary Cropper (Senior Center Activities)
· Exceptional Customer Service of the Year - Thandiwe (Tiny) Meek, First Transit)
Learn more about Durham County ACCESS at https://durham.ces.ncsu.edu/durham-county-access/.
- The Board approved the consent agenda with the exception of the 2019 Board of County Commissioners’ Meeting Schedule which they updated and approved later in the Regular Session. The consent agenda included the appointment of Monica Toomer to Interim Clerk to the Board and donation of a permanent easement and temporary construction easement to facilitate the construction, operation and maintenance of the planned Durham Orange Light Rail Transit System. View the complete consent agenda on the BOCC Agenda and Video Library webpage at http://durhamcounty.legistar1.com/durhamcounty/meetings/2018/12/1080_A_Board_of_County_Commissioners_18-12-20_Meeting_Agenda.pdf.
- The Board heard an annual update from Durham Center for Senior Life Executive Director Judy Kinney. The update, covering the recent accomplishments of the center along with the challenges and goals for Durham seniors and the center ahead, revealed that the main center located downtown is at capacity for current hours and the desire to expand the range of activities and services. Kinney also expressed DCSL’s interest in the ability to rent out the facility for private events. View the update under item number agenda item 18-1180 and learn more about DCSL at http://www.dcslnc.org/.
- Following the DCSL report, the Board received a presentation from Triangle J Council of Governments’ Executive Director Lee Worsley and Coordinator for the Partnership for Seniors Melissa Black regarding the Durham Master Aging Plan Proposal. Worsley and Black shared how aging issues impact Durham and used the word exponential to describe growth in the senior community. The Board unanimously approved the Durham Master Aging Plan viewed under agenda item number 18-1182.
- The Board made the following appointments to boards and commissions:
- Open Space and Trail Commission:
- Dave Connelly
- Teisha Wymore
- After a brief Closed Session, the Board announced the appointment of Teresa Hairston to interim tax administrator of the Durham County Tax Administration Office.
Board meetings are cablecast live on Durham Television Network (DTN) on Time Warner Cable Channel 8 or AT&T U-verse Channel 99. To view the agendas and recordings of the BOCC’s Regular Session meetings, visit the BOCC’s Website. The next regular meeting is scheduled for Monday, January 14, 2019. For more information about BOCC meetings, contact the Durham County Clerk to the Board's Office at (919) 560-0025 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.