To receive our news releases directly to your inbox!
BOCC Regular Session Highlights from August 26th
Durham, N.C. – The Durham Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) met on Monday, August 26, 2019, in Regular Session. Highlights of the meeting include:
- The Board held a closed session at 5 p.m.
- BOCC Chair Wendy Jacobs called the Regular Session to order at 7 p.m.
- Chair Jacobs began the meeting by addressing recent violence in Durham and the death of 9-year-old Z'yon Person last week. “It is not normal, and we will not accept violence as a way to settle disputes. It's a choice. Every time...We must continue to love and support each other as a community.”
- The Board proclaimed September as “National Recovery Month 2019.” The goal of the proclamation is to urge the residents of Durham County to celebrate the millions of Americans whose lives have been transformed through recovery. Two community members shared personal and inspiring stories about their own recovery during the presentation. To read the proclamation, click here.
- The Commissioners authorized the County Manager to execute a contract for the Fiscal Year 2019-2020 with the Greater Durham Chamber of Commerce for services related to industrial recruitment and economic development in the amount of $265,000.
- The BOCC authorized the County Manager to execute an agreement in the amount of $160,000 with Downtown Durham Inc., (DDI) for services relating to downtown area business support and economic development in FY 2019-2020.
- The Board conducted a public hearing on the proposed Unified Development Ordinance text amendment, Compact Suburban Design. After hearing from planning staff, the Board approved the amendment and adopted the appropriate Statement of Consistency.
- The Board received a report from the Durham County Women’s Commission on Reproductive Rights and Healthcare Access. Vivan Slade, Chair of the Women’s Commission was joined by Sara Bausch and Patti Black.
- Durham County Commissioners made appointments to the following boards:
- Adult Care Home Community Advisory Committee – Chiquetta Harris
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission – Cecilia Gonzales
- Boxing and Wrestling Commission – Italo Medelius-Marsano
- Durham City-County Appearance Commission – Araba Awotwi, Kiarash Rahmanian
- Durham-Wake Counties Research and Production Service District – Katey Regan, Mike Curry, Daniel Tomso, Joanne Latham
- The Board held a second closed session following the adjournment of the Regular Session.
- Youth Ride for Free – Youth between the ages of 13 to 18 can use a Youth GoPass to ride GoTriangle, GoRaleigh, GoCary or GoDurham buses for FREE! For more information please visit www.gotriangle.org/youthgopass.
- Central Piedmont Community Action Presents The 3rd Annual CSBG Family Fun Day – You are invited to attend Family Fun Day on October 26, 2019 from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. at 1007 Broad Street. This event is free and open to the public. For more information please contact Allexus Porter at (919) 797-0888 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2019 Men’s Health Screening at Lincoln Community Health Center – Residents are invited to receive free on-site health screenings for Colon Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Blood Pressure Checks, Diabetes, HIV/Hepatitis C testing and more. No appointment is necessary. For more information, please visit www.dukecancerinstitute.org/mens-health-screening or call (919) 684-0409.
Board meetings are cablecast live on Durham Television Network (DTN) on Time Warner Cable Channel 8 or AT&T U-verse Channel 99. To view the agendas and recordings of the BOCC’s Regular Session meetings, visit the BOCC’s Website.
The next regular meeting is scheduled for Monday, September 9, 2019. For more information about BOCC meetings, contact the Clerk to the Board's Office at (919) 560-0025 or email email@example.com.