2019 Tax Deadlines Approaching for Durham Taxpayers
Durham, N.C. – Durham County Tax Administration reminds taxpayers that Monday, January 6, 2020, is the deadline to pay 2019 Real and Personal Property taxes. Last year, more than 88% of Durham County taxpayers paid their bill prior to the deadline. Timely payment of property taxes helps Durham County provide its budgeted community services on schedule.
Tax payments may be made with cash, check, money order, and credit/debit card. Taxpayers should note that starter checks are not accepted and a processing fee, payable to the vendor, applies when using credit or debit cards. Payments can be made in person at the Tax Administration Office located on the third floor of 201 East Main Street, in downtown Durham. Taxpayers can also submit their tax payments by telephone at 1-866-892-0656 using a credit or debit card, online with an e-check, debit or credit card, or by mail to PO Box 3397, Durham, NC 27702. Taxpayers paying in person are reminded to have a copy of their bill. E-services, including online payments, are available at dconc.gov under the Online Services tab.
Residents are also reminded that 2020 Listing Forms will be mailed before January 2, 2020, to business owners and individuals who listed personal property during the previous year. Listing forms can also be accessed on the Durham County website by clicking on the Tax Administration tab and following the Property Forms and Publications link.
Taxpayers are also reminded of the following dates and deadlines:
• Listing period begins on January 1, 2020 and ends January 31, 2020.
• Individuals will be required to list their individual personal property such as boats and boat motors, jet skis, aircraft, unlicensed vehicles, permanent or multi-year tagged vehicles and trailers, International Registration Plan (IRP) vehicles, and manufactured homes (if not billed as real property) by January 31, 2020.
• Real property owners who completed additions, deletions, or improvements to their real property during 2019 are required to list such changes on a listing form. These changes may include, but are not limited to, projects such as:
- Building a deck;
- Finishing a basement;
- Adding a storage building;
- Removal or damage to a structure.
Business owners are required to list their business personal property during the regular listing period of January 1- January 31, 2020, unless an extension is granted to April 15, 2020. An extension request must be received in the DCo Tax Administration Office or postmarked by the U.S. Postal Service by January 31, 2020. Businesses may request an extension to list by visiting the Durham County website, clicking on Tax Administration and following the Business Listing System link.
Requests for Property Tax Exemptions are required to be filed during the regular listing period, which is January 1- January 31, 2020; however, Elderly Homestead, Disabled Veteran, and Circuit Breaker applications can be filed until June 1, 2020. To find out more about exemptions visit the Durham County website, click Tax Administration and follow the link for Property Tax Relief Programs.
For more information, contact Durham County Tax Administration at (919) 560-0300.