BOCC Regular Session Highlights from February 24th
Durham, N.C. – The Durham Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) met on Monday, February 24, 2020, in Regular Session. Highlights of the meeting include:
- The Regular Session was called to order by Chair Wendy Jacobs at 7 p.m.
- The Board added to the agenda a period of citizen comments and a closed session.
- The Commissioners subsequently went into a closed session to discuss a personnel matter. Once the BOCC returned to an open session the following motion was made: “The Board of County Commissioners has requested that the Clerk to the Board contact the North Carolina Association of County Commissioners (NCACC) for recommendations for outside council to advise the Board and consult with the University of North Carolina School of Government and the International City County Manager Association to provide information to the Board of County Commissioners regarding a broad investigation of all issues related to this situation.
- The Commissioners recognized Commissioner Brenda Howerton for being named a 2020 Outstanding Baby Advocate. The award was presented to her for state and local policymakers from the Think Babies™ NC Alliance at the organization’s Think Tank and Celebration at North Carolina State University’s McKimmon Center on Monday, February 24, 2020. For more about the award presentation, click here.
- The Board of County Commissioners honored Interim Emergency Medical Services Director Kevin Underhill as he prepares to retire after a 26-year career. He was presented with a resolution honoring his professional impact in the health care community. During his tenure, he advanced through EMS ranks managing professional development and education and developed new patient protocols now used as the national standard of care. The Board and staff extended heartfelt well wishes on his upcoming retirement.
- The Board voted to delegate authority to the Tax Assessor to grant individual extensions for the listing of business personal property upon written request showing good cause that an extension should be granted. Extensions would extend the listing period until no later than April 15, 2020.
- Commissioners authorized the Tax Administrator to provide public notice and advertise the 2019 delinquent real property tax liens as call for by state law. The advertising will begin March 1st and continue through June 20th.
- The Board approved the Durham County Board of Elections request to increase our service contract with SouthData for printing services. Services include printing Emergency Pollbooks, Voter Information Cards, Voter Confirmation Cards, Special Mailings, Specialized Absentee Envelopes and Precinct Official Manuals. The compensation paid to the Contractor is requested to be increased by $10,000.00. The total amended not to exceed amount will increase from 38,500 to $48,500.00.
- County Commissioners made the following appointments to Boards and Commissions:
- Board of Health—Roger McDougal, James Miller, Victoria Orto, Robert Rosenstein
- Boxing and Wrestling Commission-Mya Bass
- Durham County Women’s Commission—Laura Meyers
Voting Information for the March 3, 2020 Primary Election
Photo ID is NOT required for the 2020 Primary Election. Absentees-by-mail voting request deadline is February 25th and they must be returned to the Board of Elections by Tuesday, March 3rd. Early voting for the primary election begins Thursday, February 13th and ends Saturday, February 29th. For full details on early voting and other important information, visit www.dcovotes.com
The Durham County Juvenile Crime Prevention Council (JCPC) is requesting proposals for fiscal year 2020-2021
The JCPC anticipates funds from the NC Department of Public Safety (DPS) in the amount of $701,101 to fund programs that will serve delinquent and at-risk youth. The application deadline is March 31, 2020. Additional information can be found on the Criminal Justice Resource Center’s website. For interested organizations, informational meetings are scheduled for Tuesday, March 10, 2020 and Tuesday, March 17, 2020, from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m,. at the Criminal Justice Resource Center located at 326 East Main Street.
Grand Re-Opening of the Bragtown Branch Library
Please join us on March 11, 2020 from 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. in celebrating the re-opening of the Bragtown Branch Library at 3200 Dearborn Drive. Events are scheduled throughout the day beginning at 10 a.m.
For re-opening details, please visit dconc.gov.
2020 Golden Leaf Awards Nominations are Now Being Accepted
Do you know of a Durham property that’s outstanding for its design, preservation, curb appeal, or stewardship of the natural and built environment? Nominate it now for the 2020 Golden Leaf Awards. Nominations can be submitted online and are due by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 13th. For additional information please contact Senior Planner Kayla Seibal at 919-560-4731 ext. 28271 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Durham Planning Academy Seeks Spring 2020 Applicants
Have you ever wondered what zoning can and cannot do or questioned how things get built in Durham? If you’ve answered yes, then you should apply for the next Durham Planning Academy. The free interactive four-week course begins Thursday, March 26, 2020, with participants meeting every Thursday for four weeks. Online applications are now being accepted until Sunday, March 1, 2020. To apply, please visit www.durhamnc.gov/3174/Planning-Academy and for additional questions, please contact Kayla Seibel, Senior Planner at 919-560-4137 ext.28271 or by email email@example.com.
Board meetings are cablecast live and rebroadcast on Durham Television Network (DTN) on Spectrum Channel 8. Replays are available on DTN along with AT&T U-verse Channel 99, Google Fiber Channel 8 and Frontier Communications Channel 70. To view the agendas and recordings of the BOCC’s Regular Session meetings, visit the BOCC’s Website.
The next regular meeting is scheduled for Monday, March 9, 2020. For more information about BOCC meetings, contact the Clerk to the Board's Office at (919) 560-0025 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.