Durham Officials Announce New Safer-At-Home Order
New rules modify the merged Stay-At-Home Order for Durham
DURHAM, N.C. – Officials of the City of Durham and Durham County announced plans to transition the community to a Safer-At-Home Order from the current Stay-At-Home Order now in place. The changes become effective Monday, June 1,2020, at 8 a.m. when businesses can reopen as stated in last week’s amendment.
“As Durham’s rate of growth for new cases of COVID-19 more closely matches the state, we’re more comfortable that we’re ready to move forward to opening more businesses,” Durham Mayor Steve Schewel said. “Through the Recovery and Renewal Task Force roundtables, we’re listening to the community, including businesses, and have confidence that everyone wants to re-open in a way that protects employees as well as customers.”
Board of County Commissioners Chair Wendy Jacobs said, “As we move into Safer-At-Home and our economy is slowly re-opening, it is still important that everyone in our community remain cautious and practice the three W’s-Wear a face covering when you cannot safely social distance, Wait 6 feet away from others and Wash hands as much as possible. It is still up to each of us to do all we can to slow the spread of the virus and keep ourselves, our loved ones and our neighbors safe.”
Durham’s Safer- At- Home Order allows breweries, taprooms, distilleries, etc. to operate just as restaurants are by adhering to the 50% capacity and other requirements noted. Personal care businesses such as salons and barbershops will also open at 8 a.m. on June 1. Private pools will open on the first day of June as well.
As prohibited currently by the Governor’s Phase 2 order, bars and nightclubs will remain closed. The Order maintains the stay at home standard, only allowing people to leave for specific purposes, Section 2A. Residents and visitors of Durham are reminded that the wearing of face coverings is still required any time while in public. All other rules in Durham’s Order will remain in place until rescinded.
Durham’s Safer-At-Home Order goes into effect on June 1 at 8 a.m. The Order will remain in effect until it is rescinded. To view the differences between the Durham and State Orders, click here.
For additional information please visit: https://durhamnc.gov/4019/Stay-at-Home-Order-FAQs.
To view the new Durham Safer-At-Home Order go here: https://www.dconc.gov/home/showdocument?id=32076
To view Governor Cooper’s Executive Order 141 go here: https://files.nc.gov/governor/documents/files/EO141-Phase-2.pdf.