Please make your selection from the menu on the left.
● Durham Reads Together: One Month, One Book, One Community - Join the Conversation as Durham Reads Together strives to strengthen the community through a biennial celebration of reading. During the month of September - October, the book selection is The Best of Enemies by Osha Gray Davidson with the first discussion being held on September 17th from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. at the Stanford L. Warren Branch Library (1201 Fayetteville Street).
Each event is free and open to the public. Please visit www.durhamreadstogether.org for more information.
● Durham County Office of the Sheriff Hosts NC Bike Safe - The Durham County Sheriff’s Office has partnered with BikeSafe-NC and invites motorcyclists to participate in Rider Skills Days. To see this year’s schedule and register, please visit www.durhamsheriff.com/services.
● Open Enrollment Extended for Medicaid Beneficiaries - The Department of Health and Human Services announced that it will extend open enrollment for Medicaid beneficiaries and move to a statewide transition to managed care on February 1, 2020.
For more details about this extension, visit www.ncdhhc.gov/news.
● Child Support Amnesty - If you have an active order for arrest for child support in Durham County, there is help for you. Meet a representative on September 25, 2019 between 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. at 510 S. Dillard Street (Courtroom 5B) and bring $500 per case. If the bond is lower than $500 bring that amount and your order of arrest will be recalled.
For more information, please call 919-560-8901 ext. 8900 or 8930.
● 2019 Triangle Kickoff to College & Career Event - In collaboration with Art of Cool Fest 2019, this event is “All Things Education” in NC. Families are invited to attend and take crucial steps in preparing for life after high school. The kickoff includes a College & Scholarship Fair, Career & Military Showcase and Education Resource Expo.
This event is FREE and will be held on September 28, 2019 from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. at the Durham Armory located at 212 Foster Street. Please register at www.kickofftocollege.com.
● Durham 150 Closing Ceremony: Tickets are on Sale! - The ceremony will take place on November 2, 2019 from 7:30 - 10:30 p.m. at the Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC). This event will explore the history of Durham narration, video, live performance and music. Tickets range from $15 - $30 and are available at www.dpacnc.com or at the DPAC ticket office.
● Central Piedmont Community Action Presents The 3rd Annual CSBG Family Fun Day - You are invited to attend Family Fun Day on October 26, 2019 from 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at 1007 Broad Street. This event is free and open to the public.
For more information please contact Allexus Porter at 919-797-0888 or by email at email@example.com.
● SBA Offers Disaster Assistance to Small Businesses in North Carolina Affected by Gas Leak Explosion - Low-interest Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDLs) from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) are available to North Carolina small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small aquaculture businesses and private nonprofit organizations affected by the gas leak explosion on April 10, 2019.
Eligible entities may qualify for loans up to $2 million. The SBA offers economic injury loans to help meet working capital needs caused by the disaster. The rates on theses loan are 4% for small businesses and 2.75% for nonprofit organizations with terms up to 30 years. Eligibility for these working capital loans are based on the size and type of business and its financial resources. These working capital loans may be used to pay fixed debts, payroll, accounts payable, and other bills that could have been paid had the disaster not occurred. The loans are not intended to replace lost sales or profits. Economic Injury Disaster Loan assistance is available regardless of whether the business suffered any physical property damage.
Applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) via SBA’s secure website at DisasterLoan.sba.gov. Businesses and individuals may also obtain information and loan applications by calling the SBA’s Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955 (1-800-877-8339 for the deaf and hard-of-hearing), or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Loan applications can also be downloaded at www.sba.gov. Completed applications should be returned to the center or mailed to:
U.S. Small Business Administration
Processing and Disbursement Center
14925 Kingsport Road
Fort Worth, TX 76155.
The deadline to return economic injury applications is Jan. 30, 2020.
● Get Involved, it’s your County! Durham County Government has approximately 43 active advisory boards referred to as Boards and Commissions. Citizens of Durham County may volunteer to participate by applying for a vacancy. Interested citizens should fill out an application and send it to the Clerk to the Board’s Office. A description of the boards as well as a list of vacancies can be found on the County’s website at www.dconc.gov/government/departments-a-e/board-of-commissioner s/boards-and-commissions. If you need additional information, please contact the Clerk’s Office at 919-560-0025 or send an email to: BoardsandCommissions@dconc.gov.
● We invite you to tune in to the Durham Television Network (DTN) on AT&T U-verse channel 99, Spectrum channel 8, Google Fiber channel 8, and Frontier Communications channel 70 to see rebroadcasts of Durham County Commissioner meetings as well as other Durham County programming that may be of interest to you. Please contact the Public Information Office at 919-560-0008 or click here for more information.
● Alert Durham - Sign Up Today - Durham County wants to keep its citizens informed and safe in the case of an emergency. Sign up for Alert Durham to receive notifications about severe weather, unexpected road closures, missing persons, and evacuations of buildings or neighborhoods. To sign up for Alert Durham, visit AlertDurham.com.