Rules for Citizen Comments
The Board of County Commissioners will provide a 30-minute citizen comment period once a month during Worksessions which are held the first Monday* of each month at 9:00 am. Any citizen of Durham County wishing to speak shall have an opportunity to do so. The Board may direct staff to research and reply to the concerns, if appropriate. Speakers must sign in prior to the start of the meeting and provide a mail/email address and telephone number so that staff may reply to comments and/or questions.
*During the month of July, the citizen comment period is held during the last regular meeting of the month. If a holiday occurs on a Monday, the meeting will be held the following Tuesday morning at 9:00 am.
- Everyone wishing to address the Board must sign up to speak prior to the start of the meeting but not before 8:30 a.m.
- If you have signed up to speak, the Board Chair will call your name at the appropriate time. Please proceed to the podium located at the left front of the room and await your turn.
- All speakers shall have three (3) minutes to speak and are requested to refrain from addressing issues related to personnel matters. Time allotment is at the discretion of the Board Chair and may change.
- Citizens who request an immediate response from the Board are encouraged to submit a brief description of the issue to the Clerk to the Board two (2) weeks prior to the meeting to allow any necessary research to take place.
- Specific references to County employees or matters appropriate for closed session will not be permitted.
- Please make your comments to the Board and not towards other participants or the audience.
Complete the Citizen Comment form and submit it to the Clerk prior to the start of the meeting; Citizen Comment forms are also provided at the meeting.