Durham County EMS is currently undergoing a billing system conversion. For accounts billed prior to August 31, 2019, the conversion will temporarily impact the ability to service billing needs. For additional information, please contact (919) 560-8285. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience during this time.
1. Does Durham County Emergency Medical Services bill medical insurance?
- Yes, Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance, however, it is based on medical necessity and the reason for the service.
2. What if the insurance information was not given at the time of service?
- If the information is not collected during your initial contact with EMS personnel, you will receive a statement of charges from EMS. You may complete the backside of the statement where indicated (remember to sign the document). We need all pertinent information in order to file your claim correctly including the policy number, subscriber identification number, group number, insured name and complete mailing address for the insurance company.
3. How much time will EMS allow me to pay my ambulance bill?
- Payment is due 30 days after service.
4. Why did my insurance company mail the check to me?
- Some insurance companies send checks directly to the policy holder. We will file claims as a courtesy for the patient. It is the responsibility of the patient to make sure the bill is paid in full.
5.Where should I mail my payment?
- Durham County EMS
- PO Box 600116
- Raleigh, NC 27675
6. Can I make payments?
- Yes, you can make weekly or monthly payments, however, you must be consistent with your payment. If you are unable to make a payment you must call us in advance because your account will be subject to being garnished, sent to a collection agency or processed for debt set off.
7. Do you offer discounts?
- Due to operating below costs we are unable to offer any discounts but we will help you make financial arrangements that will meet your needs.
8. What method of payment do you accept?
- Mastercard, Visa, Money Orders, or Discover.