Services before May 23, 2015 11:59pm, patients can use paygov.us to pay their bill
Durham County EMS is happy to announce online bill payment options through PayGov.us for patients utilizing our service prior to May 23, 2015 at 11:59pm.
PayGov.us charges a convenience fee to use this service to make the online payment. This fee is separate from the primary obligation you are paying. The convenience fee is included in the "Total Payment" that is made using the online system.
Services May 24, 2015 and after, patients have to use Intermedix to pay their bills
Patients must contact www.intermedix.com/billpay or call -888-980-9351 for billing assistance.
1. Does Durham County Emergency Medical Services bill medical insurance?
- Yes, Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance, however, it is based on medical nesessity and the reason for the service.
2. What if the insurance information was not given at the time of service?
- If the information is not collected during your initial contact with EMS personnel, you will receive a statement of charges from EMS. You may complete the backside of the statement where indicated (remember to sign the document). We need all pertinent information in order to file your claim correctly including the policy number, subscriber identification number, group number, insured name and complete mailing address for the insurance company.
3. How much time will EMS allow me to pay my ambulance bill?
- Payment is due 30 days after service.
4. Why did my insurance company mail the check to me?
- Some insurance companies send checks directly to the policy holder. We will file claims as a courtesy for the patient. It is the responsibility of the patient to make sure the bill is paid in full.
5.Where should I mail my payment?
- Durham County EMS
- 201 E. Main St.
- Ste. 660
- Durham, NC 27701
6. Can I make payments?
- Yes, you can make weekly or monthly payments, however, you must be consistent with your payment. If you are unable to make a payment you must call us in advance because your account will be subject to being garnished, sent to a collection agency or processed for debt set off.
7. Do you offer discounts?
- Due to operating below costs we are unable to offer any discounts but we will help you make financial arrangements that will meet your needs.
8. Does Medicare pay for ambulance transportation?
- Yes, when a patient condition is such that the use of any other method of transportation is medically inadvisable. Transportation must be deemed reasonable and medically necessary.
9. What does EMS need before Medicare can be filed?
- EMS must have the patient's authorization on file or the patient's authorized representative, which is located on the back of our statements or you can you visit our billing website www.intermedix.com/billpay
10. Does Medicare pay this service in full?
- No, Medicare will only pay 80% of the approved amount. The patient or their supplemental insurance will be responsible for the balance or co-insurance amount.
11. What if Medicare denies my claim? What options do I have?
- Everyone has the option to appeal the claim within six months from the denial date. There are two ways to appeal: 1) Medical Necessity form completed by the doctor and /or (2) a letter in writing from the patient. These are to be submitted to Medicare's Appeal Department.
12. Does EMS file supplemental insurance?
- Yes, when giving your Medicare information please let the representative know that you have a supplemental insurance policy as well. Also, provide us with your supplemental policy information such as policy number, group number and the mailing address.
13. What is the "garnishment process"?
- Accounts are held for 90 days without any activity; once the account reaches day 91 or more, then the account becomes eligible for garnishment.
14. How can I stop the garnishment process once begun?
- The account must be paid in full.
15. What happens if there is an overpayment on my account?
- We will promptly process the necessary paperwork for a refund.
16. How long does a refund take to receive?
- Anywhere from 60-90 days.
17. What if I do not have insurance?
- We will gladly work with you in setting up a payment schedule.
18. What method of payment do you accept?
- Mastercard, Visa, Money Orders, Discover or Cash.