The VIALS of LIFE Speaks For You... When You Can't!
We have extended the Vial Of Life program to include people with Autism, are Medically Fragile or have Special Health Care Needs, and we will still provide vials for people that are living alone or have medical conditions.
We feel with this expansion of the program we can better identify:
- Caregiver information
- Methods of Communication
- Sensory Stimulus
- Inclinations for wandering, characteristics, de-escalation techniques, etc
- Vial-of-Life is a program was adopted by Durham County EMS in the spring of 2002.
- The purpose is to provide important information readily available to emergency responders in the event of a medical emergency during which a patient is unable to communicate.
- It contains information that helps paramedics determine if a patient is on medications or has medical conditions as they enter a home and there is no one to answer vital questions on behalf of the patient. This information is vital in an emergency and not always available. There is also information concerning an individual’s physician.
How Does It Work?
- Durham County EMS will provide participants with a refrigerator magnet, a vehicle sticker, a medicine bottle labeled Vial of Life, and a patient information form.
- The form has areas for personal data, past medical history, allergies, advanced directives, current medications, caregiver information, communication methods, sensory stimulus and emergency contact numbers.
- The Vial of Life bottle is kept inside the refrigerator door or vehicle glove box to be easily located by paramedics.
How Do I Get One?
- Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call us: 919-560-8285
- Visit us: Durham County EMS Headquarters 201 E. Main St.
6th Floor Durham, NC 27701
Download Our Forms
For people who need an updated form please download the newest form. We recommend that patients update their personal information every year.