Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Items such as old paint, solvents, thinners, oven cleaner, pesticides often found in a storage shed or garage are referred to as household hazardous wastes (HHW). These materials adversely affect the environment if disposed of improperly or poured down the drain.

Durham County residents may dispose of HHW at the City of Durham’s Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at 2115 E. Club Boulevard, Durham North Carolina 27704. For a list of what is acceptable and the operating hours, please call 919-560-4186 or visit the City of Durham's HHW Web Page.

Used motor oil, antifreeze, lead-acid (car) batteries, and fluorescent bulbs are accepted separately from regular solid waste for disposal at each of the County’s Solid Waste Convenience Sites with a current Solid Waste Decal.  For more information, please call 919-560-0433.  

Lowes and Home Depot accept CFL (compact fluorescent light) bulbs and rechargeable batteries.  Call the location before you plan to visit to confirm what they will accept.