Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Can you tell me the selling price of a property?

No. You will need to contact a realtor.

How do I obtain a copy of my deed?

You can request a copy from our office in person or by mail. A minimum processing fee is charged.

Do you provide forms for recording purposes?

No. Forms can be obtained from most office supply or stationery stores or from an attorney.

How can I do a title search?

All records in our office are located by searching our grantor/grantee name index. An attorney or paralegal (under direction and supervision of an attorney) may perform one for you.

Can you tell me who the owner of a property is by parcel number?

No, you would have to contact the Tax Assessor's Office.

How do I remove a name from or add a name to my property?

You may contact an attorney.

What are the fees for recording?

Please refer to the Fee Schedule or call our office at (919) 560-0480.

Can I pay for document recordings with a personal check?

No.  Payment is acceptable by cash, certified check, or money order.

How do I get the dimensions for my property?

You can obtain a copy of a property map from our office. You will need to have the book and page number of maps from your deed to obtain this from the subdivision plat. We make 18 by 24 inch copies for $2.00.

How do I remove a decedent's name from my deed?

Your question can be answered by an attorney.

How do I change the ownership of a piece of property?

Your question can be answered by contacting an attorney.

How do I record my business name?

By filling out the proper form and paying the appropriate fees. You may download a copy of the Certificate of Partnership or Assumed Name form [PDF] or Certificate of Assumed Name for a Corporation [PDF] for your convenience.

What can I do if the original Deed is lost?

A certified copy of your original deed can be obtained from our office, if the original deed was recorded here. This can be done in person or by mail. The book and page number where the document is located must be provided. Please check the fees. Fee Schedule for copy fees.

How do I calculate the excise tax on a property?

The current North Carolina excise tax stamps are $1.00 per $500.00 or fractional part of the value of the property conveyed. For deeds recorded prior to August 1991, the excise tax was $1.00 per thousand.

Who can access the information in the Register of Deeds office?

Anyone. All information in our office is public record.

Can you tell me who owns property at a given address?

No. The Tax Assessor Office can provide you with this information.

How can I get a copy of my marriage certificate?

If you were married in Durham County, you may request a copy in person or by mail. For more information click here to go to Marriage License Page.

What documents do I need to get married?

Click here to go to Marriage License Page.

Who is authorized to perform a marriage in NC?

According to statute G.S. 51-1, these are the authorized officiants:
  • Ordained ministor of any religious denomination
  • Minister authorized by a church
  • Magistrate
  • Anyone "in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by any religious denomination, or federally or state recognized Indian Nation or Tribe." 
Can I obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate from your office?

Yes. You may obtain a certified copy from our office ( at (919) 560-0495 in Durham or (919) 733-3526 in Raleigh.

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce?

If the divorce was granted in Durham County, you may obtain a copy from the Office of the Clerk of Court. (919) 808-3003.

Can you give me legal advice?

No. Durham County Register of Deeds staff cannot help you complete deed forms or give legal advice of any type. If you have questions about completing forms or the proper method of transferring property, you should consult an attorney.

Can you do a title search?

No. This work can be performed by an attorney or by a paralegal (under the direction or supervision of an attorney).