October 31, 2018
Durham County DSS To Offer Food and Nutrition Disaster Benefits
Applications to be taken starting November 1st
Durham, NC--- Durham County Department of Social Services has been approved from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to implement emergency Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) assistance for Hurricane Florence. The disaster benefit period is from September 7, 2018 to October 6, 2018. These disaster FNS benefits are for those declared Disaster County residents who do not currently receive benefits.
Applications for the emergency Food and Nutrition benefits, also known as D-SNAP will be taken at the Human Services Building, located at 414 East Main Street in downtown Durham, Thursday, November 1, 2018 through November 9, 2018, with the exception of, Election Day, November 6th. The time that applications will be received will be at 7:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m., and on Saturday and Sunday, November 3rd and 4th, the time will be 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
While Durham County residents are encouraged to apply at the application site listed above, they can also apply in person in any of the three counties that will be accepting applications during those dates. DHHS will post information on locations and hours of the sites in each county on its website.
Persons who have been affected by the Hurricane Florence disaster are eligible if,
- You are a resident from any of the three Disaster Counties; Durham, Chatham & Guilford. You are eligible to apply at any of these 3 counties.
- An official photo ID
- Proof of residency
- Must have suffered damages and/or losses from Hurricane Florence only, to include property damage, loss of income and /or food loss, during the dates of September 7th and October 6th.
- Must have income and resources not to exceed certain levels
- Must not be a current recipient of the Food and Nutrition Services program (FNS)
Applicants for the D-SNAP program who are determined eligible, may receive a one-time benefit onto an EBT card to purchase food. The exact amount of the benefit will depend upon household size. For example, a family of one could receive $192.00. A family of four could receive $640.00, and larger families could receive more.
The NC Department of Health and Human Services (NCHHS) is encouraging prospective applicants to complete their application in advance of coming to the Durham County DSS offices, by downloading the application in both English and Spanish at these links to their website. https://www2.ncdhhs.gov/info/olm/forms/dss/DSS-1432.pdf (English) https://www2.ncdhhs.gov/info/olm/forms/dss/dss_spanish/dss-1432sp.pdf (Spanish)
For applicants who are physically unable or have disabilities and cannot present their applications in person at DSS, they can visit, https://www2.ncdhhs.gov download the form and send a representative on their behalf.
We do anticipate a wait time to be serviced, due to the number of applicants we may receive. County officials recommend that you take public transportation, car pool, or have someone drop you off, due to the limited available parking in downtown Durham.
Also, be reminded, that no weapons of any kind are permitted inside of the Human Services Building. Everyone will go through a security checkpoint. If you are found with a weapon or other contraband, you will have to exit the building.
Applications Program Manager
Redeterminations Program Manager
Changes Program Manager
The Food and Nutrition Services Program is a federal program designed to assist low income households with the benefits they need to provide nutritious meals.
Trying to complete an application?
1. Apply immediately through EPASS using the following link: https://epass.nc.gov/CitizenPortal/application.do
2. Use the onsite Applications Lab at Durham County DSS at 414 E. Main Street, Durham, NC 27701 from 7:30 AM-5:30 PM.
3. Download a Food and Nutrition application then complete it and mail it back to the agency
When do I turn in my FNS Recertification?
At the beginning of the month it is due.
- Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina
- Urban Ministries of Durham Community Kitchen & Pantry