DURHAM COUNTY AGRICULTURAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT GRANT PROGRAM
The Durham County Board of County Commissioners has approved an Agricultural Economic Development Grant Program and has allocated $50,000 for this fiscal year. The program purpose is to offer cost share grants to assist farmers along with promoting Agriculture Development and Outdoor Environmental Learning Centers in schools.
The County has a successful economic development plan that offers cash incentives to businesses that create jobs in the community. This incentive programs mimics the same outcome but is directed to support farms, new and beginning entrepreneurs and to support agriculture education in schools.
This program will provide two types of grants:
- Small grants for Agriculture Development in schools: Up to $1,000.00
- Grants for farmers: Up to $10,000.00
Training events will be offered to assist interested applicants with the application process. Extra points will be awarded to anyone that attends one of the training's below:
1) Wednesday, July 10th 8:00 am-9:00 am
2) Thursday, July 18 6:00 pm-7:00 pm
3) Tuesday, July 23 6:00 pm- 7:00 pm
- Please R.S.V.P to Lisa Marochak (Lmarochak@dconc.gov or 919-560-0558) if you are planning to attend one of the training's.
Application Deadline: August 30th at 5:00 pm
Notification: Award recipients will be notified by letter by September 15, 2019.
- If awarded you must attend a future training before implementation.
Falls Lake Agriculture Rule, 15A NCAC 2B Rule 0280
Establishes collective nitrogen and Phosphorus reduction goals for agricultural operations in the watershed. This rule will affect anyone who engages in agricultural operations in the Falls Lake Watershed, produces crops or horticulture products (excluding trees) primarily for financial profit, engages in research activities in support of commercial production or has:
- 5 or more horses
- 20 or more cattle
- 20 or more swine not in a feedlot
- 150 or more swine in a feedlot
- 120 or more sheep
- 130 or more goats
- 650 or more turkeys
- 3,500 or more chickens
- any combination that exceeds 20,000 pounds of live weight at anytime
- Falls Lake Agriculture Rule brochure [PDF]